How To Add The Print Services Role To Windows Server 2008
The print services role enables you to share printers on a network, as well as to centralize print server and network printer management tasks. It also enables you to migrate print servers and deploy printer connections using Group Policy.
To install printer services in Windows Server 2008 do the following:
- Click on Start and then click Administrative Tools and then click Server Manager.
- In the Server Manager window, click the Roles option in the left pane.
- In the left pane, click the Add Roles option. The Add Roles Wizard will launch.
- On the Before You Begin page, click Next.
- On the Select Server Roles page, select the Print Services check box and then click Next as illustrated in the diagram below.
- On the introduction page click Next
- On the Select Role Services page place a checkmark in Print Server - LPD service and Internet Printing and then click Next
- If you are asked to install Web Server IIs go ahead and do so and then click Next
- On the Web Server IIS page click Next
- On the Select Role Services page click Next
- On the Confirmation page click Install.
- The print services you selected should now be installed successfully.
We should now be able to add a printer to the print server. To add a printer do the following:
- Determine the IP address or host name of the printer you want to connect to. You can usually obtain this information by looking at the printer's test or printer configuration page.
- Ping the printer from the print server in order to verify that the print server can communicate with the printer through the network.
- On a remote computer running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, open the Print Management console and add the server running the Server Core installation.
- Expand the entry for the print server running a Server Core installation, right-click Drivers, and then click Add Driver. The Add Printer Driver Wizard starts.
- Complete the wizard to install the printer driver for your printer.
- In the Print Management console, right-click Printers and then click Add Printer. The Network Printer Installation Wizard starts.
- Click --> Add a TCP/IP or Web Services printer by IP address or hostname and then click Next.
- Enter the printer's host name or IP address (the port name will be the same by default), and then click Next.
- Make any necessary changes to the printer name, contact information, or sharing status, and then click Next.