How To Add A Web Server (IIS) To Windows Server 2008
Why install IIS?. By installing the service, you can turn your computer into a Web server and host your Web sites, applications and so on. IIS 7.0 is not installed by default on Windows Server 2008. You can install IIS using Server Manager. The Add Roles Wizard will walk you through the process and prompt you for any required information.
IIS can support thousands of websites on a single web server. The number of websites that you have depends on the way the system is configured, including the number of processors, the amount of RAM, bandwidth, and more. For every website that the system supports for the Internet, there must be a public IP address and registered domain name.
You will not be able to add the web server role until the Windows Process Activation Service has been installed.
To add a web server to Windows Server 2008 do the following:
- Click Start, navigate to Administrative Tools and click Server Manager as illustrated in the diagram below.
- Click Add Roles.
- When the Add Roles Wizard appears, click Next.
- If any required features are missing, you will be prompted to install them by clicking the Add Required Features button.
- From the Select Server Roles window, place a checkmark in the box labelled Web Server. Then click Next.
- Select the specific role services to install for IIS. If you are unsure what a service is for, select the service and a short description will appear.
- Static Content – Lets the Web server publish static Web file formats, such as HTML pages and image files. Use Static Content to publish files on your Web server that users can view using a Web browser.
- Default Document – Lets you configure a default file for the Web server to return when users do not specify a file in a URL.
- HTTP Errors – Allows you to customize the error messages returned to clients browsers when the Web server detects a fault condition.
- HTTP Redirection – Provides support to redirect client requests to a specific destination.
- HTTP Logging – Provides logging of Web site activity for this server.
- Request Filtering – Screens all incoming requests to the server and filters these requests based on rules set by the administrator.
- IIS Management Console – Provides infrastructure to manage IIS 7 by using a user interface.
- Click Next
- Review your installation selections and click Install.
- When the installation is complete, review the results in the Installation Results window and then click Close.